Tuesday 6 June 2023

Words Down Writing Prompts - 5th June 2023 - Kae Tempest week

Words Down 05-Jun-2023

Kae Tempest Week

This week was a good week. Often I find I have to really dig to pull something out of the speedwriting prompts but this time they all just sprang almost unbidden to mind based on what was provided.


Speed Writes

1. They crest the hill at last

The engines wailing as the wheels spin

Then it's all downwards

The race for the finish

Skittering sideways like possessed crustaceans

Chasing the last shrimp in the world


2. Jasmine on the wind

Or is it honeysuckle?

I was never very good at identifying

floral scents. Particularly overpowered

as in this case

by petrol and cordite and smoke and death

as the troops advance and we retreat

and our dreams fall around us.


3. All night I lie awake with it

This pain in my mind that taunts me

The things I will never achieve

The things for which I will always yearn

The things that they have, but which I cannot.

The pain sometimes drops

but overall

the increase is linear

It will take me eventually


4. I just woke up and it was here

An unassuming box in brown corrugated cardboard.

I do not know what is inside it,

Nor how it got here.

The sender label says simply "Schroedinger".

Do I hear intermittent quiet meowing,

or did I imagine that?


5. I feel you like a threat.

And yet I know you are the source

of all safety.

Perhaps my fear is of losing your shelter,

of you deciding to take your protection

elsewhere.

Deep inside, I know you are mine forever

but the primal chimp in my brain

fears you turning out to be 

someone I know you're not


SOURCE POEM : Sequence by Kae Tempest


Empty street beside the railway at night,

Spot-lit pigeons pecking at dropped bones,

Low houses lean in like a family

Portrait. Clapped-out van pulls up, the music

Playing loud. Drunken laughter from inside.

Woman clambers out with swollen suitcase

And goodbyes them all. She stops at her door

Looks up for a moon she can't see. Her eyes 

Rank milk. The good times cling to her shoulders.

Long features, like a stretched mirror.

There, on the doorstep, she has the flooding

Sense that she is nothing but a sequence

Of events remembered differently by 

Everyone involved. What she does not sense

Is the queue of silhouettes, stood behind,

Who pick up their right hands when she picks up 

Her right hand and kick out their left legs when

She kicks out her left leg. when she calls out

To a great power she does not yet believe in

And asks to be opened, they raise their

Voices in solemn chorus behind her.


Exercise: Set a scene like this, build a picture and add detail, set up anticipation

I started this then ended up turning it into a throwback to my "I just woke up and it was here" prompt above, imagining this as the unseen route to how it just came to be there.

Title : Undefined, Uncertain, Unseen

A liminal space. Grey tarmac, dark buildings.

Shutters closed, no movement other than when wind blows

Through the discarded wrappings and cigarette packets

Scattering them slightly, then gathering them back up

Into dense heaps. The sound of an engine approaching

Before the motorcycle comes into view

And stops. The rider dismounts, looking around

For something. They appear bloated, stuffed into their

Leathers and their armour, and their helmet

Which they now remove, their breath forming mist

in the cold night air. Steam rising from their 

Sweaty matted hair. Taking the key, they open

The plastic luggage carrier and remove a normal 

Cardboard box. It does not look heavy

But it does seem sturdy as the rider places it

On the pavement. One label adorns the top

Surface. "Property of E. Schroedinger."

The street lights form multiple images 

Of the rider on the road surface, all identical, 

All moving as one,

Facing in different directions. Of the box, 

There are fewer shadows as if half of the lights

See straight through. There is, 

And simultaneously is not, the sound of an animal.

A pedestrian walks out of an apartment block,

Picks up the box without a word

And is gone back into his building.

Or someone's building.


No comments:

Post a Comment